11 Movies to Watch Over Christmas Break
Christmas break is here! For students, it’s a well-earned intermission from early-morning classes, lectures that seem to make the hands on the clock move slower, and hand-ins that creep up on you in the blink of an eye. At times, it was hard, but you held it together, so you deserve a little rest and relaxation. What better way is there to wind down over the winter break than by snuggling up with a warm cup of mulled wine or spiced hot chocolate and watching a movie or four? The following are some of our favourite films:
1. Cowspiracy explores the impact of animal agriculture on the environment and investigates the policies (or lack thereof) of environmental organisations on this issue.
2. *Blackfish focuses on Tilikum, an orca held by SeaWorld, and the inhumane conditions of captive killer whales.
3. *Food, Inc. exposes the sources of the food we eat and its environmental impact.
4. The Cove follows daring animal activists at a cove in Taiji, Japan, as they capture video footage of a secret and heavily guarded operation run by the world’s largest supplier of dolphins.
5. *Food Matters focuses on using nutritionally rich, plant-based foods for optimal health.
6. Crazy Sexy Cancer follows the journey of a young woman looking for a natural cure for her cancer.
7. *Year of the Dog tells the fictional story of a woman who learns about animal rights issues after her beloved dog’s death.
8. At the Edge of the World follows activists as they attempt to stop the Japanese whale slaughter.
9. Forks Over Knives follows two medical experts as they reveal the effects of common foods on human health.
10. The Beautiful Truth promotes a plant-based vegan diet for cancer and disease prevention.
11. *Vegucated follows three meat-eaters who agree to adopt a vegan diet for six weeks.
*Streamable on Netflix!