11 Places to Find Delicious Vegan Food in Edinburgh
Edinburgh has so much to offer this August – including the Fringe, Europe’s largest arts festival, where you can watch top-notch music and theatre performances and attend literally thousands of comedy shows. And of course, Edinburgh has a rich history that can be explored any time of the year. Luckily for compassionate folk, it’s also a great place to find vegan food! Although its rival Glasgow may have won the title of the UK’s Most Vegan-Friendly City last year, Auld Reekie gives ethical eaters plenty to choose from.
The following are some of our top choices in Scotland’s capital:
- David Bann: For posh nosh in Edinburgh, vegans should make for David Bann. Just a stone’s throw from the Scottish Parliament, this gourmet vegetarian restaurant’s inventive, globally inspired menu has plenty for vegans to enjoy.
- Kalpna: This South Indian vegetarian restaurant offers meat-free food with a healthy dollop of spice. Especially recommended are the vegan thali and the great value of the all-you-can-eat lunchtime buffet.
- Henderson’s: Edinburgh’s original vegetarian restaurant, Henderson’s is still going strong and now has several branches throughout the city. Early birds can turn up at 8 a.m. for breakfast, and throughout the day, it offers a selection of wholesome salads and healthy main dishes.
- The Baked Potato Shop: At lunchtime, you’ll often see queues going out the door at this little spud shop in the heart of the Old Town. It’s known for its generous portions and variety of tasty fillings, and it’s probably the only place in the city that sells vegan haggis samosas!
- Forest Cafe: This community-owned vegetarian café is a stalwart of Edinburgh’s alternative scene and offers great staples at budget prices. It’s usually also a reliable source of vegan cake.
- Bread Street Brasserie: This classy bistro, which emphasises seasonal Scottish produce, features clearly-labelled vegan options on its menu and also holds a monthly vegan evening
- La Favorita: Often labelled the best pizza in Edinburgh, this local favourite just got even better – it now offers pizza with vegan cheese!
- The Auld Hoose: The perfect spot for those with healthy appetites, this pub is legendary for its enormous vegan nachos and also does a hearty veggie haggis served with traditional neeps and tatties!
- Filmhouse: Ask to see the vegan menu at this art-house cinema’s café – it includes satisfying options such as chickpea and coconut curry and crispy falafel. If the weather’s dreich, try the soya hot chocolate with vegan marshmallows.
- The Chocolate Tree: Chocoholics will definitely appreciate this pleasing shop and café in Bruntsfield, which offers delights such as dairy-free hot chocolate, decadent vegan chocolate cake and a range of tempting artisan chocolate bars.
- Piemaker: For all your pastry-based needs, head to this pie shop on South Bridge or Leith Walk. Vegan items are clearly labelled on the menu and include savoury options such as Thai mushroom pie as well as sweet treats, including apple turnovers and cherry pie.
Let us know if we’ve missed any gems by leaving a comment below!