28 British Celebrities Who Won’t Be Eating Turkey This Christmas
It’s estimated that 11 per cent of Brits, including these compassionate stars, will be tucking into a delicious meat-free Christmas dinner this year – one in which the centrepiece isn’t the carcase of an animal. Join them!
1. Not only will singing sensation Leona Lewis not be serving any animal products on Christmas Day, she also won’t be wearing any. (Leona doesn’t wear fur, leather or suede.) Now that’s compassion in fashion!
2. Paul McCartney, who famously said that “if slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be vegetarian”, teamed up with PETA to encourage fans to keep cruelty off the Christmas table.
4. Emeli Sandé is one of the biggest names in the music business. And she uses her voice to promote a plant-based diet.
Only once you think about it does eating meat become unthinkable — Emeli Sandé (@emelisande) April 30, 2014
5. Made in Chelsea’s Lucy Watson has never been one to shy away from drama or keep her opinions to herself, especially when animals are involved.
6. JME – “Kale, yeah”, the grime artist and Boy Better Known founder is vegan!
7. The Wanted’s Jay McGuiness knows that animal agriculture pollutes our airways and waterways – and that not eating meat is the single most effective thing that people can do to reduce their carbon footprint.
I’m not a militant veggie, but I’m proud I don’t have quite as much impact on the earth. Aside from all the flying… Swings & roundabouts! — Jay McGuiness (@JayTheWanted) October 12, 2014
8. Football legend Phil Neville scored a winning goal for his health and for animals when he switched to a vegetarian lifestyle.
9. Meat and dairy products are linked to obesity, cancer and diabetes. No wonder so many people report feeling better after ditching animal products. Just ask singer Ellie Goulding, who says, “I went vegan a few months ago. I feel leaner and healthier”.
10. TV personality and longtime vegetarian Fiona Phillips understands that Christmas is meant to be a time of goodwill for all, including animals.
11. Bring Me the Horizon frontman Oli Sykes is a badass with a soft side. “When I saw how animals are tortured on factory farms, I couldn’t justify being a part of that cruelty. I thought, ‘Imagine if that were me.'” Hell, yeah!
12. A vegetarian since the age of 14, Russell Brand says, “I don’t see why someone should lose their life just so you can have a snack”.
13. I scream. You scream. We all scream for (vegan) ice cream! Just ask McFly’s Tom Fletcher.
Vegan icecream is actually better than normal icecream. Cross my heart. — Tom Fletcher (@tommcfly) September 30, 2014
14. Comedian John Bishop has been meat-free for nearly three decades, which may account for his unflappable energy on stage!
15. Gabrielle Aplin, the singer of “The Power of Love”, extends her love to animals.
Happy World Vegetarian day 🙂 Eating dead animals is grim don’t do it — Gabrielle Aplin (@GabrielleAplin) October 1, 2014
16. Jodie Marsh knows that animals are not walking roasts. She says, “I could never eat a dog, and I don’t see how a chicken, a sheep, a pig or any animal is any different, because all animals have a mind and a personality”.
17. Olympic cyclist Victoria Pendleton is meat-free every day – but also encourages meat-eaters to give plant-based foods a try, even just one day a week.
18. Never one to hold back, legendary rocker Morrissey fearlessly mouths off about the meat trade every chance he gets. And guess what? He wants you to join him.
19. The Darkness’ Justin Hawkins understands the struggle … wink.
20. Actor Thandie Newton won’t be eating meat this Christmas – and she won’t be eating dairy products, either.
21. “I remember a specific conversation with my mum, and she told me that pigs cry when they know they’re going to die. … I just couldn’t really contemplate bein’ part of that process”, says Mogwai’s Stuart Braithwaite.
22. Socialite and designer Meg Mathews never misses the opportunity to spread the vegan message – check out her wheels! 23. Still think vegans are scrawny weaklings? Say it to boxer David Haye‘s face. Dare ya.
24. You tend to feel better about yourself when you’re not using your body as a graveyard for animal corpses. Rapper Skepta seems to agree. “You know when you go gym and you walk out, you feel good about yourself? I feel good about myself that I don’t eat meat.”
25. Singer Joss Stone has never eaten an animal, and she admitted to PETA that she actually used to sing “Amazing Grace” to the cows in the field. Awww. 26. Les Misérables performer Samantha Barks has been vegetarian since childhood and says that if she hadn’t gone into acting, she might have become a veggie chef.
27. Ninjas need strength. And parkour champion Tim Shieff gets his entirely through plant-based foods.
28. Guitar legend Jeff Beck says, “You can’t just carve animals up – it’s not necessary”. And with so many delicious faux-meat options available, it’s hard to disagree.
Join these celebs and celebrate the holidays while leaving animals off your plate. Order a free vegan starter kit today, and check out our guide for how to have a vegan Christmas feast with all the trimmings!