Go Fresher – Go Vegan!
It’s that time of the year again – thousands of students will be starting or returning to university and kicking off the term with a fun-filled fresher frenzy to settle in. But before the madness begins, here are a few handy fresher tips from an old and wise third-year:
- Now is the perfect time to go vegan! Now that you’re cooking and shopping for yourself, you can make sure that your cart is cruelty-free. Remember: vegetables are cheaper than meat, so your loan should stretch easily if you’re careful. When other students have fish-finger sandwiches (it happens), try a Tesco’s vegetable-finger one instead. If you’re in catered accommodations that don’t already offer a vegan option at every meal, be sure to speak to the head of catering. The same goes for your university café.
- Make sure that you’re the only one who suffers for your hangover! Not all alcohol is vegan or even vegetarian, but it is possible to have a drink without hurting animals.
- Be safe, but bear in mind that not all condoms are vegan! Durex non-latex condoms are vegan, and so are Condomi ones. And if you’re packing those, you’re more likely to attract the ladies because everyone knows that chicks can’t resist a guy with a big … heart!
- Visit your fresher fair and see if you have an animal rights society. If not, why not start your own and get your campus talking about animals? Also check to see if your student union has a green officer and make a point of reminding him or her that meat consumption is the single largest contributor to climate change. Find out if your university conducts tests on animals. Don’t be afraid to be vocal if they do; join the union and start a petition. Get other students and staff on your side and work to make your uni a safer place for all living beings.
- Be kind to people! You’ll be surprised by the effect that you can have on people just by being a positive influence.
Have fun and enjoy being a student. You only do it once (unless you fail), and now it’s so easy to be young, carefree and cruelty-free.
Work hard. Play harder.