All About Animals: Primary Teachers: Let’s have a heated debate…
How does this fit into the curriculum? Pupils should be taught to make relevant comments (EN1 2c) and to take different views into account (3c).
Teachers’ Note: This is an oral exercise, undertaken either as a small group activity or with the whole class.
Lesson Plan: Let’s have a heated debate…
The Question: How do you feel about cruelty to animals?
Markers are given to help you steer the discussion:
- Who has a companion animal?
- Do you love your animal?
- How would you feel if someone hurt your animal?
- Do you think it is wrong to hurt any animal?
- If you saw someone kicking a dog or tormenting a cat, what would you do?
- Is it ever OK to hurt an animal?
- Do you think people should be punished if they hurt animals?
- Why or why not?
- Why should we be kind to animals?
You can end by telling the pupils that if they know of anyone who deliberately hurts an animal they should tell you. See the section on The Link: Cruelty to Animals…Violence to Humans to see what you can do if a child is showing signs of cruelty to animals.