8 Must-Try Vegan Sandwich Ideas
Making the perfect sandwich is an art form. The concept may be simple – take two slices of bread and insert your (animal-free) filling of choice – but the creative possibilities are endless!
Sampling some of the Violife vegan cheese from Veganic got the PETA office thinking about our favourite cruelty-free sandwiches. Here are some of our top picks:
- Kirsty’s Classic “Cheese” Sandwich: There’s nothing fancy about this sandwich, but oh my, it is tasty. Recreate it yourself with thick-cut seeded bread, smothered with basil and cashew pesto, then topped with curly kale, red onions, cherry tomatoes and Violife pizza-style “cheese”.
- peta2’s Mega Veggie Burger Bagel: Veggie burger, check. Toasted bagel, check. Ketchup and mustard, check. Fresh salad, check. Result: a satisfying sandwich that’s a meal in itself.
- Caitlin’s Cheese ‘n’ Sausage Sarnie: Pumpkin and spelt bread, Violife “cheese” with peppers, egg-free garlic mayo, spinach, tomato, avocado and “Wheaty” vegan doner kebab equal a feast in sandwich form.
- Falafel Pita Sandwich: Add a dollop of hummus for unbeatable Middle-Eastern–inspired munching.
- Will’s Mustardy Mushroom Baguette: Combine a freshly baked baguette, mushrooms sautéed in garlic oil, grilled wheat sausages, a couple of slices of Violife vegan herb cheese and a thick squeeze of strong Finnish mustard – and you’ve got a sandwich that’s perfect for the morning after the night before.
- The Vegan BLT: You can’t beat a classic. Fakin’ bacon strips and avocado are the secrets to veganising this staple.
- BBQ Tofu Roll: It’s cheap, protein-packed, easy to make – and delicious. Grab the recipe here.
- The Lazy Option: If you’re on the move or just aren’t in the mood for bread-based experimentation, you could always grab a delicious vegan-friendly sandwich from a popular lunch spot on the high street. See some of our favourites here.
What’s your favourite vegan sandwich? Let us know in the comments!