Recipe: Claire’s Mac ‘n’ Cheeze
This is a filling, creamy vegan version of the classic comforting dish. Claire suggests varying the dish by adding halved cherry tomatoes or sliced vegan hot dogs before baking/grilling or by sprinkling with flaxseeds and a couple of teaspoonfuls of paprika to create an extra-crunchy topping. Enjoy!
Claire’s Mac ‘n’ Cheeze
1 onion, finely chopped 1/2 Tbsp olive oil 1–2 chillies, finely chopped (optional) 3–4 cloves garlic, minced 1 Tbsp flour 1 tsp dried oregano 1/2 tsp paprika 1 litre unsweetened soya milk 190 g vegan melting cheese (we suggest mozzarella or Edam style Cheezly), grated Ground black pepper and salt, to taste 500 g macaroni
- Heat the oil in a medium pan on medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add the chillies and garlic and continue cooking for 3 minutes.
- Add the flour and a splash more oil (if necessary) and cook until browned.
- Add the oregano, paprika and a tiny bit of soya milk and stir. Gradually add more soya milk, stirring continuously to prevent sticking. When all the soya milk has been incorporated, add the grated vegan cheese and stir. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
- Cook the macaroni according to the package instructions. Drain, then place in a large ovenproof dish and cover with the “cheese” sauce.
- Place under a medium-heated grill for about 10 minutes until brown and bubbling or in an oven preheated to 190°C for about 15 minutes.
- Serve with a crisp green salad and garlic bread.
Makes 6 to 8 servings