Recipe: Delicious Vegan Moussaka From Plant-Based Meal Service allplants
allplants is a new vegan meal service offering plant-based dishes for delivery nationwide. To celebrate the launch, the team shared with us its delicious moussaka recipe.
This rich, creamy dish is formed of layers of golden aubergine, wild mushrooms, roast potatoes, and ragù, topped with a creamy coconut béchamel sauce. Try it!
Recipe adapted from allplants
4 large aubergines, cut into 1-cm thick horizontal slices
500 g white potatoes (we used new potatoes), cut into 1-cm thick horizontal slices
2 Tbsp olive oil + extra for sautéing and drizzling
10 g dried oregano
Salt, to taste
2 large white onions, finely diced
40 g dried porcini mushrooms, rehydrated
20 g fresh rosemary, oregano, and parsley, chopped
6 cloves garlic, finely diced
80 ml red wine
80 ml vegetable stock
40 g tomato paste
20 ml balsamic vinegar
1 400-g tin chopped tomatoes
150 g dried green lentils
1 cinnamon stick
4 bay leaves (fresh or dry)
800 ml coconut milk
4 whole black peppercorns
100 g sunflower spread
100 g plain flour
12 g nutmeg, finely grated (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Put the aubergines and potatoes in separate bowls. Toss each with 1 tablespoonful of olive oil, 5 grams dried oregano, and a couple of pinches of salt. Get your hands in there and ensure the slices are well coated.
- Evenly spread the aubergine slices across a baking tray and the potato slices across another and slide both into the warm oven. Roast until golden brown and tender with a slight crisp. This should take 30 to 40 minutes.
- To create the ragù, add the onions and a little oil to a large pan. Sauté over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until just softened.
- Add the porcini mushrooms to the pan along with the fresh herbs and garlic. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Turn up the heat and then pour in the red wine. Boil for 5 minutes to remove the alcohol and leave a rich scent and taste.
- Bring the heat back down and add the vegetable stock, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, chopped tomatoes, green lentils, cinnamon stick, and 2 bay leaves. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- To prepare the creamy coconut béchamel, warm the coconut milk with the peppercorns and the remaining bay leaves in a medium-sized pan over low heat – you don’t want the milk to boil. Once warm, strain through a sieve into a measuring jug and set aside.
- Put the pan back on the heat and add the sunflower spread. Stir until melted, then add the plain flour, sifting in a little at a time and whisking until a thick paste is formed. Gradually pour in the warmed coconut milk and keep whisking until you have a smooth, creamy consistency. Add a pinch of salt and simmer for 10 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- To assemble the moussaka, arrange the potatoes across the bottom of a deep roasting dish so that the base is covered entirely. Spread half the ragù over top, making sure that the potatoes are completely covered. Next, layer half the aubergines on top and cover with the remaining ragù, before adding a final layer of aubergines.
- Pour the béchamel over the top, covering the whole dish. Sprinkle with the grated nutmeg, add a drizzle of olive oil, and place in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden-brown and bubbling. Serve with a light salad.
Makes 4 servings
allplants‘ menu includes a selection of tasty vegan dishes such as cashew macaroni, claypot tagine, and black-bean chilli – all delivered frozen to your door. Its food is hand-prepared from fresh ingredients with nutrition and flavour in mind. Delicious vegan meals couldn’t be easier!