Recipe: Level Up Your Vegan Roast with Cranberry Compote and Crushed Pistachio Crust
Just in time for Christmas, Fry’s Family Foods has released its winter vegan recipe booklet. Make your holiday feast stand out with this Vegan Roast with Cranberry Compote and Crushed Pistachio Crust!
Vegan Roast with Cranberry Compote and Crushed Pistachio Crust
Cook time: 1 hour
200 g cranberries (if frozen, defrost overnight in the fridge)
100 ml orange juice
30 g caster sugar
- With a sewing needle or sharp, small knife, prick each cranberry so it doesn’t pop whilst cooking.
- Simmer the cranberries, orange juice, and caster sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves. Add around 100 ml water and continue to heat until the cranberries soften and begin to break down into a compote.
- When you have a sticky, thick consistency, take the cranberries off the heat and set aside.
50 g breadcrumbs
100 g shelled pistachios, minced
1 Tbsp fennel seeds
1 Tbsp herbs de Provence
Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ingredients to form a crumbly mixture and set aside.
Assembling the Roast
1 Fry’s Soy and Quinoa Country Roast (fully defrosted)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease and line a baking tray.
- Place the country roast in the middle of a baking tray and slowly pour the cranberry compote over it so it covers all 3 exposed sides (as well as tasting great, this will provide a glue for the pistachio crust to stick to).
- Now gently pat the pistachio crust mixture onto the country roast, making sure it sticks to the sides as well as the top. You can really compress it to get as much of the crust on as possible.
- Pat any extra crust onto the base of the roast so any juice from the cranberries will bake into it and make even more good stuff to share.
- Roast for 30 minutes and then check on it – the nuts will burn quite easily, so you’ll need to keep an eye on it after 30 minutes. If it’s getting too dark, just cover with foil, then roast for a further 15 to 20 minutes until it’s really crisp (but not burnt!).
Fry’s winter vegan recipe booklet includes other recipes that would be perfect for a Christmas spread, including cranberry and soy sausages and mince pies. Download your copy now. And check out these ideas for other ways to celebrate Christmas with compassion: