Why I’m Vegan: Athlete Tim Shieff
When he’s not leaping across tall buildings, doing one-handed handstands or performing other daredevil antics, free runner Tim Shieff can often be found whipping up delicious vegan meals and speaking out for animals on his YouTube and social media channels.
Now, he’s combined his two passions to make a stunning new pro-vegan free-running video for PETA!
|Watch the video.
We chatted with him afterwards about why he chose to go vegan two and a half years ago and all the health benefits he’s noticed since ditching meat, eggs and dairy products:
Tim isn’t alone in finding that plant-based foods help him perform at the highest level. Some of the world’s fittest, strongest athletes have performed extraordinary feats on a vegan diet, including the following:
- Germany’s strongest man, Patrik Baboumian, holds world records for log lifting and overhead beer keg lifts – all thanks to plant power.
- After going vegan, ultra-marathon runner Scott Jurek won some of the toughest races in the world, including the 135-mile Badwater Ultramarathon in Death Valley and the notorious Hardrock 100.
- Rich Roll went from being an overweight 40-year-old with a heart condition to becoming an Ultraman triathlete winner and one of the fittest men in the world and credits much of his success to switching to a vegan diet.
- Tennis superstars Venus and Serena Williams – who have won every Grand Slam title out there – are both vegans.
Some of the typical benefits experienced by athletes after going vegan include:
- Enhanced performance
- Lean body mass
- Improved endurance and stamina
- Quicker recovery time
- Resistance to illness
Of course, knowing that their diet isn’t harming any animals is an enormous, immeasurable benefit for all vegans, whether they’re athletes or not!
If you’re curious about vegan food, Tim’s delicious, healthy recipe videos presented on Jamie Oliver’s Food Tube are a great place to start:
- Vegan Burger
- High-Carb Post-Workout Smoothie
- Full-Flavour Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
- Vegan Coconut & Cherry Ice Cream
For more information about going vegan, order our free starter kit: