How to Order Vegan at Starbucks
Vegan Starbucks, anyone? Did you know that the coffee chain offers non-dairy soya, almond, oat, and coconut milks? You can have them in any drink on the regular or seasonal menu.
It’s no secret that cows suffer in the dairy industry, and by going vegan, you can save more than 100 animals per year! Here’s our handy guide to ordering vegan drinks at your local Starbucks branch.
The basic drinks are vegan: get yourself a hot coffee or an iced version with soya, almond, oat, or coconut milk and any flavoured sweetener syrup (such as vanilla, caramel, or hazelnut), and you’re all set. Hot or iced tea is always vegan as well. For drinks that are a bit more complex, simply apply these rules:
Remember to order soya, almond, oat, or coconut milk. All stores carry them, and they can be used to replace cows’ milk in any drink for a small additional cost.
Ask your barista to hold the following non-vegan ingredients:
- Whipped cream
- Java chips (used in the Java Chip Frappuccino and Double Chocolatey Chip Frappuccino)
- Caramel drizzle (used on the Caramel Macchiato and Caramel Frappuccino)
- Cinnamon dolce topping (which contains butter)
Unfortunately, a few drinks can’t be made vegan because there’s cows’ milk or honey in the syrup. Completely avoid these ones:
- Anything with pumpkin spice
- Anything with white chocolate mocha
- Chai Lattes (but the Teavana brewed Chai Tea is fine)
Note: Clear syrups are usually vegan, but the sauces aren’t.
Check out some of our favourite drinks that are vegan as they are or can be made vegan with minor adjustments:
- Freshly Brewed Coffee
- Caffè Americano
- Caffè Latte (with soya, almond, oat, or coconut milk)
- Caffè Mocha (with soya, almond, oat, or coconut milk and without the whipped cream)
- Caramel Macchiato (with soya, almond, oat, or coconut milk and without the caramel drizzle)
- Flat White (with soya, almond, oat, or coconut milk)
- Java Chip Frappuccino (with soya, almond, oat, or coconut milk and without the whipped cream and the java chips)
- Matcha Green Tea Latte (with soya, almond, oat, or coconut milk)
Want a sweet treat to go with your latte? Starbucks has you covered with its gorgeous Vegan Chocolate & Raspberry Cake.
This dairy and egg-free chocolate sponge filled with a layer of raspberry icing and decorated with chocolate icing and dried raspberries is on sale in selected branches alongside other yummy vegan food options. Not available at a location near you? Request to see them at your local Starbucks.