10 Vegan Cheeses Available in the UK That You Need to Try Right Now
Vegans love cheese. That’s right – it may come as a surprise to some people, but plant-eaters enjoy a bit of cheesy goodness as much as the next person. The difference is that dairy-free cheese is made without harming animals – and it’s usually lower in fat than cheese made from the milk of cows, sheep or goats and has no cholesterol.
Here’s our ultimate rundown of vegan cheeses available in the UK. Whether you’re looking for cream cheese, sandwich slices or pizza cheese that melts, you’ll be able to find a vegan cheese for every occasion:
- Best for bagels – Tofutti Original Creamy Smooth
This is a classic “cream cheese” with a lovely smooth, spreadable texture. You’d never guess that it’s made from tofu!
- Best for sandwiches – Violife Cheddar Flavour Slices
These slices are not only tasty but also ultra-convenient. They go perfectly between two slices of bread with some crisp lettuce and a splash of vegan mayo. They’re available at Holland & Barrett, independent health-food stores and at some branches of ASDA and Tesco.
- Best to add to a salad – Vegusto No-Moo Herb
This is a firm vegan cheese, delicately flavoured with parsley, chives and basil. Toss it with some mixed leaves, sundried tomatoes and a splash of olive oil for a sophisticated light meal.
- Best for “cheese” and crackers – Tesco Free From Rich Soya Smoked
The smoky flavour is what sets this “cheese” apart. We love it on crackers or oatcakes, possibly with a little dab of chutney. Delish!
- Best for pizza – Veganic Vegan Pizza Cheese
This dairy-free cheese does exactly what it says on the tin – namely, goes all lovely and gooey when sprinkled on top of a pizza alongside your favourite vegan toppings.
- Best for sauces – VBites Cheezly Edam Style (Melting)
This cheese is wonderful in a homemade sauce, creating just the right texture and a great cheesy taste. Your vegan lasagne will never be the same again!
- Best for melting – MozzaRisella
Made out of rice milk, this Italian “cheese” is a vegan version of – you guessed it – mozzarella. With its mild flavour and soft texture, we can’t get enough of it melted on top of pizza, pasta or anything else you might fancy.
- Best “blue cheese” – Vegourmet Jeezini Blue (With Mushrooms)
If you’re craving a cheese that’s slightly more piquant, this vegan blue cheese, flavoured with dried mushrooms and fancy truffle oil, is just the thing. And as opposed to dairy-based blue cheeses, you won’t be eating mould!
- Best for dipping – Sweet Chilli Creamy Sheese
Warning: this vegan cream cheese is seriously addictive. It has a satisfying kick and tastes great with tortilla chips or breadsticks.
- Best for impressing your friends – homemade vegan cheese
Whipping up a batch of homemade vegan cheese is unexpectedly easy. There are many mouth-watering recipes out there that include everything from sunflower seeds to aubergine and coconut to cannellini beans, but this is one of the simplest (although it does involve some soaking time, so be sure to plan ahead).Raw Cashew Cheese
1 1/2 cups raw cashews
Cold water sufficient to cover the cashews by 2 inches
1/3 cup water
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp sea salt
- Place the cashews in a medium bowl. Add the cold water and let soak for 2 hours. Drain.
- Combine the cashews, 1/3 cup of water, lemon juice, garlic and sea salt in a food processor and blend, scraping down the sides occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until very smooth.
- Transfer to a small bowl. Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 1 day and up to 2 days. Refrigerate until ready to use or for up to 5 days.
Makes 1 1/4 cups
Let us know if we’ve missed any grate vegan cheeses by leaving a comment below!
And for more tips on cruelty-free living, order one of our free vegan starter kits today: