BBQ-Proof Burgers by Chef Day Radley, Founder of The Vegan Chef School
These tasty burgers, adapted from a recipe by Day Radley, have a firm texture and a meaty flavour – perfect for the BBQ. They’re delicious on their own, but we love them sandwiched in a bun with a slice of melty vegan cheese.
BBQ-Proof Burgers by Chef Day Radley, Founder of The Vegan Chef SchoolChef Day Radley
- 2 Tbsp neutral oil, such as sunflower
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 160g mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1–2 tsp yeast extract, such as Marmite
- 4 tsp vegetable bouillon powder or 1 vegetable stock cube
- 70g porridge oats
- 70g gram flour (chickpea flour)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm a tablespoonful of the oil. Add the onion and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the mushrooms are browned.
- Transfer to a bowl and blend with a hand blender until smooth.
- Add the yeast extract and bouillon powder or stock cube. Mix well, add the oats and gram flour, and mix again.
- Allow to cool, then form into 6 patties with your hands or roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper and cut out using a round cookie cutter.
- Warm the remaining oil in the same frying pan over medium heat. Brown the burgers on both sides.
- Transfer to a baking tray. Bake for around 15 minutes, until firm.
- Serve immediately or grill on a barbecue or griddle pan.