Vegan Royal Coronation Quiche
King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla chose Coronation Quiche as the official recipe to mark the occasion of their crowning. So we’ve made a vegan royal coronation quiche for you to try! Buckingham Palace said the tart was chosen because it is easy to share and can be served hot or cold – making it the perfect centrepiece for street parties. Please note, you will need a 9-inch quiche dish for this royal recipe.
Vegan Royal Coronation QuichePETA
- 250 g plain firm tofu
- 150 g grated vegan cheese
- 1/3 tsp ground black salt (kala namak) (optional)
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened soya milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 red or green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped small
- 1 small head broccoli, chopped small
- 4 rashers of vegan bacon, smoked vegan sausages, or vegan ham, sliced small
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 sheet ready-to-roll vegan shortcrust pastry
- 1 small tomato, sliced thin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- In a blender, blitz together the tofu, vegan cheese, black salt, nutritional yeast, soya milk, salt, and pepper to form a paste. Add more soya milk if needed.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Once hot, fry the onion for a few minutes, until translucent.
- Add the garlic and chilli and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the red pepper and broccoli and fry for 5 minutes, until the vegetables have softened and turned a light brown.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan and put to one side.
- Add the sliced vegan meat to the pan and cook according to the packet instructions.
- Add the vegetables back to the pan, then add the tofu paste.
- Grease your quiche dish using vegan butter.
- Roll out or unfold the shortcrust pastry, then press into the quiche dish.
- Pour in your filling.
- Top with the sliced tomatoes and sprinkle on the paprika.
- Bake the quiche for 45 to 55 minutes at 180 ˚C, until slightly brown on top.
- Allow to cool before serving.