Comforting Chestnut and Mushroom Pie
Treat yourself to this warming, hearty pie – the ideal comfort food for a chilly winter evening. Serve as a centrepiece along with vegetables and lashings of gravy or on its own as a tasty starter.
Comforting Chestnut and Mushroom PieCarys, Senior Corporate Liaison
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 400 g spinach
- 250 g chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- 250 g portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 180 g cooked chestnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp stock powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 Tbsp vegan red wine, optional
- 1 Tbsp non-dairy milk
- 2 sheets pre-rolled vegan puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Warm the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add the garlic, spinach, chestnut mushrooms, portobello mushrooms, chestnuts, herbs, stock powder, salt, and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes on a low heat. Stir in the vegan red wine, if using. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Place a sheet of the vegan pastry on a chopping board and cut lengthways into 2-centimetre strips. Line a baking dish to the rim with the second sheet, add the filling, then arrange the strips in a cross-hatch pattern over the top. Brush with non-dairy milk.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.