Creamy Tomato and Ginger Soup
Creamy Tomato and Ginger SoupVegan Lass
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 brown onions, peeled and diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 400-g tins chopped tomatoes
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1–2 Tbsp tomato purée
- 400 ml vegan cream
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 5–7 cm fresh ginger root, grated, to taste
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1–2 dashes chilli flakes
- 1 dash ground cayenne pepper
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 handfuls sweet cicely or tarragon, coarsely chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or pan on medium-high. Add the onions and garlic and fry until fragrant and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the bay leaf and celery and fry for a further 3 to 4 minutes.
- Tip in the tinned tomatoes, vegetable stock, and tomato purée and stir thoroughly, then allow to boil for about 15 minutes.
- Lower the heat, add the vegan cream, sugar, ginger, and spices and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and blend until smooth. Add the lemon juice and season to taste. Blend again briefly.
- Top with the sweet cicely or tarragon and serve with a hunk of crusty bread.
Recipe Adapted From Vegan Lass