FrittataAn Ode to Mung Beans
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 3/4 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 Tbsp olive or vegetable oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 spring onions, chopped and separated into white and green parts
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 6 mushrooms, chopped
- 100 g baby spinach
- 100 g kale, chopped
- 1 large handful fresh basil leaves
- 1 package firm tofu
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce (or tamari if gluten-free)
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2/3 cup soya or almond milk
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder
- Preheat the oven to 190°C and lightly grease a springform pan.
- Mix the flaxseed with the water and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir into the cooked rice.
- Press into the bottom of the pan. Brush with a little oil, bake for 10 minutes, then set aside. Turn the oven down to 180°C.
- Heat 1 tablespoonful of oil in a frying pan and cook the onion, spring onion whites, and garlic until soft. Add the pepper and mushrooms and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add the spinach, kale, basil, and spring onion greens a little at a time until wilted.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the tofu, mustard, turmeric, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, non-dairy milk, arrowroot powder, and the remaining oil until smooth.
- Stir into the greens. Pour over the crust and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until browned.
- Let cool for 1 hour, then remove the sides of the pan. Let cool fully before slicing.
- Enjoy cold or reheat in the oven.
Recipe Adapted From An Ode to Mung Beans