Meatball Marinara Sub
Fans of Subway’s Meatless Meatball Marinara will love this quick and easy copycat version, adapted from a recipe by Made by Blitz. It takes just 20 minutes to prepare and is packed with plant-based protein, making it the perfect sandwich for a tasty lunchtime treat.
Meatball Marinara SubMade by Blitz
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 sprig basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 100g cooked couscous
- 2 Tbsp tomato purée
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 4 Tbsp breadcrumbs
- 3 Tbsp soya sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 sub rolls
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- Vegan cheese (optional)
- Add the chickpeas, black beans, onion, herbs, and garlic to a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Transfer to a large bowl and mix in the couscous, tomato purée, nutritional yeast, breadcrumbs, and soya sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Form the mixture into balls and fry over medium heat until crispy on all sides.
- Microwave or pan fry the tomatoes until they burst. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the tomatoes and the meatballs. Slice the rolls in half and top with the meatball mixture and the cheese, if using.
- Place under the grill for 4 to 6 minutes and serve.