PizzaThe Rose & Bean
- 7 g (1 sachet) fast-acting yeast
- 150 ml lukewarm water
- 350 g plain flour
- 6 g salt, plus more for seasoning
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 tin (400 g) chopped tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 handful basil
- Pepper, to taste
- Vegan cheese
- Toppings of your choice
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast and water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, olive oil, and yeast mixture.
- Using an electric mixer with a dough hook, mix for 7 to 8 minutes, until no longer sticky, or knead for 10 to 12 minutes by hand. Stretch a small piece of dough into a thin circle and hold it up to the light – if it’s translucent, it’s ready.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured worktop and gently form into a ball. Return to the bowl.
- Cover with cling film and let rest for about 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Combine the chopped tomatoes, minced garlic, basil, salt, and pepper in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over a medium heat. Stir and bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour into a blender and blend until smooth, if desired.
- Preheat the oven to the highest temperature. (For a crispy base, leave the tray in the oven to warm.)
- Place the dough on a floured surface. Cut in half to make 2 pizzas.
- Shape each piece into a ball using your hands, then roll out into a flat, round pizza shape.
- Ladle the sauce onto the dough then sprinkle with vegan cheese and your choice of toppings.
- Place in the oven and reduce the temperature to 180°C. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the base is golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Recipe Adapted From The Rose & Bean