Sweet Potato Rösti with Avocado, Coriander, and Chilli
The new cookbook Linda McCartney’s Family Kitchen by Linda, Paul, Mary, and Stella McCartney has over 90 vegan dishes – and this recipe is adapted from one of them!
Traditionally eaten for breakfast, röstis are a great start to the day. These ones, made with sweet potato, are packed with flavour and so moreish, and they’re a great source of minerals and vitamins, particularly C and E. They’re also rich in fibre, which is great for the digestive system. And the best thing of all? All the veggies in this count towards your five a day.
Sweet Potato Rösti with Avocado, Coriander, and ChilliLinda McCartney
- 600 g sweet potato, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and very finely chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds or ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 5 Tbsp chickpea flour or plain flour
- 5 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, destoned, and sliced
- 1 handful coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Place the sweet potato on a clean tea towel, gather up the corners, and twist to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Tip into a bowl and mix in the red onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, flour, and 4 tablespoonfuls of the olive oil. Season with the salt and pepper and use clean hands to bring everything together.
- Add the remaining oil to a large non-stick pan and place it over medium-low heat. Take 2 tablespoonfuls of the sweet potato mixture in your hand and tightly compact it into a ball, then gently flatten it into a disc and place it in the hot pan. Repeat with more of the mixture, taking care not to overcrowd the pan. Fry the röstis for 4 to 5 minutes, then gently flip over and fry for an additional 4 to 5 minutes, until golden on both sides and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and continue until you’ve used all the mixture, adding more oil to the pan as needed.
- Top with the avocado, coriander leaves, and chilli and season to taste. Drizzle with a little more olive oil and serve immediately with lime wedges (if desired).