Announcing PETA’s Person of the Year – Ricky Gervais!
Ricky Gervais already has his fair share of gongs – BAFTAs, Golden Globes and Emmys, to mention just a few – but now he has a new accolade to boast about. The outspoken comedian has just been named PETA’s Person of the Year for 2013, thanks to the way that he uses his influence and wit to defend animals day after day. He’s joining an illustrious list of British celebs who have been recognised by PETA, including Brian May and Morrissey.
When he’s not making fans laugh in shows such as Derek and The Office or sharing pictures of his beloved companion cat, Ollie, Ricky is often to be found on Twitter, letting his 5.3 million followers know how important animals are and slamming anyone who neglects or abuses them. He’s always entertaining, but it’s a sign of his calibre as a comedian that he doesn’t go for cheap laughs – with Ricky, animals are never the butt of the joke.
He has also teamed up with PETA on numerous occasions, from speaking out against the cruelty of foie gras to narrating one of our most-viewed ads of all time, alongside rocker Pink:
As proof (as if any further were needed) of Ricky’s passion for animals, here are a few of our favourite quotes from him:
- “Animals are not here for us to do as we please with. We are not their superiors, we are their equals. We are their family. Be kind to them.”
- “If you could bottle ‘happy dog’ it would cure everything. I love it when their whole body wags. Magical.”
- “Freedom of speech, rationality, truth and honesty. This is my religion. Oh, and cats. & dogs. All animals. Some people. Alcohol is good too.”
- “When xmas shopping please don’t buy into cruelty. No real fur, no foie gras, & don’t give anyone a Cliff Richard calendar. That’s just nasty”
- “Mmmm..pistachios…my little vegan clams.”
- “I reckon Zombies are grumpy all the time because they only eat red meat. They must be constipated for eternity.”
- “Most people I’ve met who weren’t kind to animals weren’t kind to people either. Kindness is kindness. Simple as that.”
- “As much as I love seeing heartless morons gored to death, I can’t take the risk of 1 innocent animal being hurt for fun. #banbullfighting”
- “Whether you believe in evolution or magic, be nice to animals :)”
- “How can anyone abandon a beautifully loyal dog? It’s not an accessory. It’s your best fucking friend. It makes me so sad & angry.”
- “Dear intelligent people of the world, don’t get shampoo in your eyes. It really stings. There. Done. Now fucking stop torturing animals.”