Crispy Sweet-and-Sour Tofu
Crispy Sweet-and-Sour Tofuhot for food
- 1 block medium-firm (or firm) tofu
- 5 tsp cornflour
- 1/2 cup + 2 tsp water
- 3 cups + 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 2 Tbsp tomato purée
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup cold soda water
- Drain the tofu and cut into bite-sized cubes. Place on a clean tea towel to soak up excess water.
- Mix 2 teaspoonsful each of cornflour and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- To make the sauce, warm 2 teaspoonsful of vegetable oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic, ginger, and chilli flakes. Stir for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the vinegar, agave nectar, tomato purée, soy sauce, and 1/4 teaspoonful of sea salt and whisk over medium heat until just bubbling. Add the cornflour-and-water mixture. Whisk frequently for 10 to 12 minutes, until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Heat 3 cups of vegetable oil to 190°C in a medium-sized pan.
- Prepare the batter by combining the rice flour, remaining cornflour, remaining sea salt, garlic powder, and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Stir the soda water into the flour mixture and mix well.
- Coat 3 or 4 tofu cubes with the batter and drop carefully into the oil. Gently separate any that stick together, using a slotted fryer spoon. Fry for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, then remove with the slotted spoon and place on paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining tofu cubes.
- In 2 or 3 batches, toss the sauce with the crispy tofu cubes until evenly coated. Serve over rice or vegetables.
Recipe Adapted From hot for food