Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
Vegan Shepherd’s PieVegan Lass
- 5 Tbsp vegan butter
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large onions, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt, to taste
- 400 g mushrooms, finely diced
- 200 ml dry red wine
- 600 ml good-quality vegetable stock
- 175 ml tomato purée
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 15 g brown miso paste
- 1 small handful fresh thyme
- 1 small handful fresh sage
- 1 small handful fresh rosemary
- 2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried, ground kelp, nori, or other seaweed
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tins (800 g) green or black lentils, drained
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Pepper, to taste
- 1.5 kg white potatoes
- 200 ml unsweetened soya milk
- Melt 2 tablespoonsful of vegan butter in a large pan. Add the garlic, onion, carrots, celery, bay leaves, and a pinch of salt. Fry over medium-high heat for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms and fry for 5 minutes more.
- Add the wine, stock, tomato purée, mustard, miso, herbs, soy sauce, kelp, sugar, liquid smoke, vegan Worcestershire sauce, and lentils. Stir well. Cook over medium-high heat for about 15 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and cover the pan. Simmer for 30 minutes, until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat, season to taste, and stir in the nutritional yeast.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Peel the potatoes and chop into largechunks. Boil in salted water until soft.
- Drain and mash. Add the soya milk, the remaining vegan butter, and a pinch of salt and whip until creamy.
- Remove the bay leaves from the lentil mixture, pour into a pie dish, and top with the mash. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden-brown and bubbling.
Recipe Adapted From Vegan Lass