11 Reasons to Have a Wool-Free Winter
If you care about animals, wool-free fashions are the way to go this winter. Here’s why:
2. Because 2 to 6 million baby lambs die of exposure, disease or other factors every year – and that’s just in the UK.
Most deaths occur within 48 hours of birth.
3. Because shearing is rough, terrifying and often deadly for sheep. This sheep didn’t survive the experience. The shearer handled her so violently that he broke her neck before kicking her headfirst down a chute.
4. Because mulesing – during which sheep have chunks of flesh SLICED OFF – is endemic in Australia, one of the world’s largest producers of wool. Yes, it’s done without painkillers, it really hurts and the wounds often become infected.
5. Because most sheep never make it to old age.
After a few years, when they’re no longer wanted, they’re generally slaughtered.
6. Because the wool trade is directly linked to the hellish live-export industry.
Sheep are crammed onto ships for a terrifying journey that can last days or weeks before they are killed in poorly regulated Middle Eastern slaughterhouses.
7. Because sheep are intelligent, complex and sensitive.
“We are not jumpers!”
8. Because farming sheep isn’t great for the environment, either.
According to environmentalist George Monbiot, “Few kinds of farming have done more harm in proportion to their output than the keeping of sheep in the hills”.
9. Because sheep are bred to grow excessive amounts of wool.
Wild sheep? Their coats are just right for their environment, and they shed them naturally every summer, so they get along just fine without ever being sheared.
“Soay ewe” by Tomek Augustyn / CC BY-SA 2.0
11. Because wool-free fashion is so easy to find! And if you’re into knitting your own items, vegan yarn is readily available too! **** For more evidence of how CRUEL and UNNECESSARY wool is, take a look at PETA US’ exposé from earlier this year. Then, please, show sheep and other wool-bearing animals that you care by shopping cruelty-free and sharing this information with everyone you know!