Alexis Gauthier’s Vegan Croissants
“A classic French recipe which turns out as an amazing vegan alternative to the usually industrial, over-buttered croissant.”
– Alexis Gauthier
Alexis Gauthier’s Vegan CroissantsAlexis Gauthier
- 500 g white flour
- 10 g table salt
- 50 g caster sugar
- 125 g vegan butter
- 125 g vegan yogurt
- 150 g soya milk, plus 10 cl for brushing
- 25 g fresh yeast (diluted with a little warm soya milk)
- 10 cl maple syrup
- In a mixer, combine the flour, salt, sugar, vegan butter, vegan yogurt, and 150 grams of soya milk at medium-low speed for around 3 minutes, until well mixed.
- Add the yeast and mix for another 3 minutes, adding flour as needed, until the dough is elastic and not too wet or dry.
- Let rest for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Roll out the dough to 5 millimetres thickness, cut into approximately 12 triangles, and roll into croissant shapes.
- Combine the remaining soya milk with the maple syrup and brush onto the croissants.
- Place on a tray lined with baking parchment and bake for approximately 10 minutes, until cooked through.
Adapted from a recipe by Alexis Gauthier