Gaz Oakley’s Welsh Cakes
Cookbook author and blogger Gaz Oakley from Avant-Garde Vegan shares his recipe for simple vegan Welsh cakes.
Gaz Oakley’s Welsh CakesGaz Oakley
- 225 g plain flour
- 75 g currants
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp mixed spice
- pinch salt
- 75 g caster sugar, plus more to coat
- 100 g vegan margarine
- 100 ml almond milk
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix the flour, currants, baking powder, mixed spice, salt, and 75 grams of caster sugar. Rub in the vegan margarine until the mixture has a breadcrumb-like consistency.
- Gradually pour in the almond milk and mix until a dough forms.
- Tip onto a floured surface and roll to the thickness of your little finger, then cut into 5-cm discs.
- Warm a lightly oiled, heavy-based pan over medium heat and fry the cakes until golden on each side.
- Remove from the pan and sprinkle with caster sugar.
Recipe Adapted From Avant-Garde Vegan