BBQ Tofu Wings With Ranch Sauce
BBQ Tofu Wings With Ranch SauceThe Whole Ingredient
- 1 block (250–300 g) firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp gram flour
- 7 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried onion granules
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, plus a pinch for the dressing
- 1 tin (400 g) tomatoes, puréed
- 2 Tbsp tomato purée
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- Juice of 1/2 orange
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes (or cayenne pepper)
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 1 handful fresh dill leaves (about 10 g)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 1 tsp dried marjoram (or oregano)
- A day in advance, cut the tofu into 5 slices about 1 cm thick, then halve each one. Place on a plate between sheets of kitchen paper and freeze. Start defrosting a couple of hours before you want to start cooking.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
- Place the defrosted tofu between sheets of kitchen paper on a chopping board, then put another board and a heavy book on top. Press until most of the water has been soaked up by the paper. Don’t allow the tofu to dry out and crumble.
- Combine the gram flour, 3 tablespoonsful of water, 2 teaspoonsful of oregano, the onion granules, 1 teaspoonful of paprika, and 1/2 teaspoonful cayenne pepper in a bowl.
- Coat each tofu “wing” in the batter and place on a non-stick baking tray, greased with a little oil if needed.
- Place on the top shelf of the oven and bake for 30 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Combine tomatoes, tomato purée, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, soy sauce, orange juice, 3 cloves of garlic, 1 tablespoonful of paprika, 1 tablespoonful of oregano, 1 teaspoonful of chilli flakes, and pepper in a saucepan, stir, and cook over medium heat, covering once bubbles begin to form. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, until thick. Remove from heat.
- To make the ranch sauce, blend the tahini, 4 tablespoonsful of water, the dill, 1 clove of garlic, the lemon juice, mustard, apple cider vinegar, and marjoram in a food processor until smooth.
- Remove the “wings” from the oven after 30 minutes. Use a spoon to coat each “wing” with the BBQ sauce before placing back on the tray.
- Bake for another 10 minutes, arrange on a plate with the ranch sauce, and serve!
Recipe Adapted From The Whole Ingredient