‘Chicken’ Caesar Wraps
‘Chicken’ Caesar Wrapshot for food
- 1 garlic bulb
- 1 tsp + 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp + 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp + 1 pinch ground pepper
- 3/4 cup cubed medium tofu
- 1 cup water
- 1 pitted Medjool date
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3 1/2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 block firm tofu
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp liquid smoke
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 vegan unbreaded "chicken" breasts
- 2 tsp vegetable oil (for frying)
- 4 cups roughly chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 4 vegan wraps or flatbreads
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
- Peel all but one thin layer of skin off the garlic bulb and cut 1/4 inch off the top, exposing the cloves.
- Coat with 1 teaspoonful of olive oil, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of pepper. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until browned and soft. Peel.
- To make the dressing, place the roasted garlic, the cubed tofu, ¾ cup water, the remaining olive oil, the date, lemon juice, lemon zest, nutritional yeast, vinegar, mustard, and the remaining salt and pepper in a blender and blend on high until very smooth. Refrigerate.
- To make “bacon” bits, finely crumble the firm tofu into a dish and add the soy sauce, liquid smoke, maple syrup, paprika, and the remaining water. Stir to combine and coat the tofu.
- Spread out on a parchment-lined baking sheet in an even layer.
- Bake for 25 minutes, turning once or twice, until browned and crispy.
- Pan-fry the vegan “chicken” breasts for 5 to 6 minutes over medium heat with 2 teaspoonsful of oil, until browned and cooked through.
- Cut into strips.
- Toss the romaine, the red onion, and the dressing together in a large bowl until well coated.
- Spread a portion on each wrap, top with the “bacon” bits, then add the “chicken” strips. Wrap tightly and cut in half.
Recipe Adapted From hot for food