Sun-Dried Tomato Quiche
Sun-Dried Tomato QuicheThe Little Blog of Vegan
- 320 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 140 ml light olive oil
- 140 ml non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp hemp seeds
- Vegan butter or margarine
- 2 large vine tomatoes, sliced
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, roughly sliced
- 1 pkg firm silken tofu (349 g)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp tahini
- 143 g sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, 1/4 teaspoonful of the salt, and the baking powder.
- Rub 125 ml of the oil into the dry ingredients with your fingers for about 3 to 5 minutes, until crumbly.
- In a small bowl, combine 80 ml non-dairy milk and 1 teaspoonful of lemon juice, then add to the crust mixture, along with the hemp seeds.
- Knead into a ball of dough, adding more oil or milk as needed.
- Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 10 minutes, then let sit at room temperature for a few minutes.
- Flour a clean work surface and rolling pin and roll out the dough to the size of your pie dish.
- Grease the dish with vegan butter or margarine.
- Carefully transfer the dough to the dish and trim off any excess.
- Using a fork, prick the base then bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until partly cooked.
- Place the tomato slices on a baking tray, brush with oil, and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and garlic and fry until golden.
- Drain the tofu and crumble into a food processor. Process with the lemon juice, the remaining salt, nutritional yeast, the remaining non-dairy milk, the tahini, and the sundried tomatoes until smooth.
- Stir in the onions and garlic.
- Pour into the crust and garnish with sliced tomatoes, basil, and hemp seeds (optional).
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, checking for doneness after 30 minutes. If it starts to burn, cover with foil.
- Serve with fresh basil.
Recipe Adapted From The Little Blog of Vegan